A permit is required when travelling on roads through Aboriginal land such as the Great Central Road, Tjukaruru Road and most of the roads-tracks leading off the Outback Way between Laverton and Yulara.

Aboriginal land is private land. It is not Crown land, nor public land.

The permit system enables permit holders to understand their obligations and responsibilities,
helping to preserve Aboriginal heritage and culture, safeguarding the natural environment and to promote visitor safety.

Travellers driving along the Tjukaruru Rd between Uluru Kata Tjuta National Park and NT/ WA border/  can apply for a transit permit from the Central Land Council (NT), or if travelling the Great Central Road a travel permit is available from the Ngaanyatjarra Council.

Please note that some permit systems do not work from mobiles or tablets and needs to be completed on a computer or laptop.

Permits give you 3 days to travel  from Yulara to  Docker River and 3 days from WA Border to Laverton- this is heaps of time. You do not need to print your permit, just have it available on your email/ on your phone,  so it can be displayed if required.

Special permission is required to travel off the Outback Way to places of particular interest and travellers should investigate this when applying for the permits.

The OHDC Inc also uses the data to indicate how many people are using the road- this is helpful for maintenance and seeking funds for upgrading.